Archaeologist Vasil Nikolov Elected Vice President of Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
The elections were at the last session of the Seventh General Assembly of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Bulgaria’s largest scientific institution, a government body.
The Academy was first established as a literary society in 1869, seven years before the country’s National Liberation from the Ottoman Empire.
Its new President, Prof. Julian Revalski, was elected on December 1, 2016. Now, three new Vice Presidents have been elected: archaeologist Vasil Nikolov, chemist Konstantin Hadzhiivanov, and physicist Kostadin Ganev.
Prof. Evdokia Pasheva has been reelected as Scientific Secretary-General of the organization.
The National Institute and Museum of Archaeology in Sofia, Bulgaria’s largest archaeology research center, is one of a total of 42 institutes of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
Prof. Vasil Nikolov has been a faculty member of the Institute of Archaeology since 1984, and served as its Director in 2003-2007.
He is one of Bulgaria’s most prominent experts in Prehistory. Some of Nikolov’s recent and long-term research has focused on
the Slatina Neolithic Settlement in Sofia;
the Provadiya-Solnitsata (“the Salt Pit”) prehistoric town, Europe’s oldest, near Provadiya in Northeast Bulgaria;
the Mursalevo Neolithic Settlement in Southwest Bulgaria;
the Late Neolithic Shrine near Kapitan Andreevo in Southeast Bulgaria.