The Early Christian Great Basilica (or Bishop’s Basilica) is located in the center of the ancient city of Philipopolis, which is itself in the downtown of today’s Plovdiv in Southern Bulgaria. It was discovered in 1982 by a team of archaeologists led by Elena Kisyakova. The excavated remains of the Great Basilica were fenced off as part of conservation efforts but have not been excavated further ever since. Back in 2002, Plovdiv Municipality sold the property to a private firm even though it contained a formally recognized monument of culture. As a result, once the scandalous deal unraveled, it took the municipality and the central government seven years of court trials to regain the ownership of the Great Basilica site. The Philipopolis Bishop’s Basilica is impressive in size – its length totals 86.3 meters (the combined length of its naos with the apse is 56.5 meters), and its width is estimated to be 38.5 meters. The entire floor of the three-nave basilica is paved with unique Early Christian mosaics covering a total area of 700 square meters. The mosaic floors were created in two construction stages. The color mosaics feature primarily geometric motifs and images of birds typical of the second quarter of the 5th century. About 70 different species of birds have been identified, some of which appear to be unknown to contemporary ornithology. Based on the mosaics, the Early Christian Bishop’s Basilica in the ancient city of Philipopolis is dated back to the first half of the 5th century BC, the Late Roman – Early Byzantine period. It was destroyed in the middle of the 6th century, possibly during a barbarian invasions. It was built on the foundations of an earlier building of similar size and potentially with similar functions.
Top Posts & Pages
NewsletterDon't miss any of our stunning stories from Bulgaria and around the world with our Newsletter's regular and special editions! :)
- Huge Roman Inscription of Dionysus Cult Secret Society after 251 Goth Invasion Found in Early Christian Great Basilica in Bulgaria’s Plovdiv
- 30-Year-Old Roman Woman’s Grave Found in Bulgaria’s Plovdiv near Discovery Site of Tomb with Jesus Christ Murals
- Previously Unseen Ancient Thracian Weapons Showcased in Special Exhibition in Bulgaria’s Danube City of Ruse
- Sealed 16th Century Ottoman Looting Tunnel for Draft Animals Found inside Tower Tomb beneath Bulgaria’s Largest Thracian Burial Mound
- Exciting Slot Games to Play
Latest from European-Views.com: European Views
EU Border Guards Use ‘a Little Bit of Force’ to Push Migrants Back to Bosnia, Croatia’s President Admits
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Ancient Greece Ancient Rome Ancient Thrace Ancient Thracians Antiquity archaeologist Black Sea Black Sea coast Byzantine Empire Byzantium ceramic vessels coins cultural tourism Danube River early Christians excavations exhibition First Bulgarian Empire fortress fortress wall Late Antiquity Middle Ages Ministry of Culture National Institute and Museum of Archaeology National Museum of History necropolis Ottoman Empire Ottoman Turks Ottoman yoke Philipopolis Plovdiv prehistory rescue excavations restoration Roman Empire Second Bulgarian Empire Sofia Tarnovgrad Thracians tourists treasure hunters treasure hunting Varna Veliko Tarnovo Veliko Tarnovo Regional Museum of History(all tags)
Advertorial Ancient Greece Ancient Rome / Roman Empire Ancient Thrace Antiquity Archaeologists Archaeology (Global) Bulgarian Empire Byzantine Empire Christianity Crime & Law Cultural Tourism Exhibitions Features Interviews Listicles Middle Ages Modern Era Museums & Institutes Other History Ottoman Empire Paleontology Planet Earth Prehistory Speleology Uncategorized Underwater Archaeology Wildlife & Nature Wildlife (Global)
- Explore Prehistory!
- Explore the Antiquity!
- Explore the Middle Ages!
- Explore Christianity!
- Explore Underwater Archaeology!
- Explore the Other History!
- Learn more about Crime & the Law!
- Explore Cultural Tourism!
- Explore Paleontology!
- Explore Wildlife & Nature!
- Check out the Exhibitions!
- Explore the Museums & Institutes!
- Explore Global Archaeology!
- Explore Global Paleontology!
- Explore Global Wildlife!
- Explore the Planet Earth!
- Check out our Interviews!
- Check out our Features!
- Check out our Listicles!
- Check out our Background Infonotes!
- Check out our Index of Archaeologists !
- Check out our Index of Museums!
- Donate to Support Our Cause!