The Small Basilica of ancient Philipopolis, which is located in the downtown of today’s southern Bulgarian city of Plovdiv, was built in the 5th century in honor of then military commander of the province of Thrace, Flavius Basiliscus. Basiliscus became Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire, i.e. Byzantium (r. 475-476 AD) but was deposed by his predecessor, Byzantine Emperor Zeno (r. 474-475 and 476-491 AD) who ordered the destruction of any traces left by Basiliscus. This led to the deletion of several lines from a donation inscription in the Small Basilica in Philipopolis. The basilica itself It is a three-nave Early Christian church with a length of 20 meters, including the apse, and a width of 13 meters. It is located on the eastern outskirts of the ancient city of Philipopolis close to the inside of the eastern section of the fortress wall near a fortress tower dating back to the 2nd-4th century. It was discovered by accident in 1988 during construction works for a residential building, and has been granted the status of a national culture monument. It was restored between 2010 and 2014 under a project of the Bulgarian Culture Ministry, Plovdiv Municipality, and the America for Bulgaria Foundation, which provided a USD 1 million grant for its excavation and restoration.
- Archaeologists Find Medieval Grave with Skeleton with Arrow in Chest at Antiquity Odeon in Bulgaria’s Plovdiv
- Archaeologists May Have Discovered Ancient Thracian, Roman Town Scaptopara, Precursor of Bulgaria’s Blagoevgrad
- Medieval Fortress Wall, Lady’s Ring with Crystal Discovered in Rescue Digs in Bulgaria’s Asenovgrad
- Early Iron Age, Late Roman Settlement with Bi-ritual Necropolis Discovered in Rescue Digs in Southwest Bulgaria
- Archaeologists Discover Large Roman Building under Tree Where Coin Hoard Was Found, Clues of Barbarian Invasion in Bulgaria’s Mezdra
Top Posts & Pages
Follow Us on TwitterMy Tweets
Follow Us on Google+
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Ancient Greece Ancient Rome Ancient Thrace Ancient Thracians Antiquity archaeologist basilica Black Sea Black Sea coast Byzantine Empire Byzantium ceramic vessels Christianity coins cultural tourism early Christians EU funding excavations First Bulgarian Empire fortress fortress wall Late Antiquity Middle Ages Ministry of Culture National Institute and Museum of Archaeology National Museum of History necropolis Ottoman Empire Ottoman Turks Ottoman yoke Plovdiv rescue excavations restoration Rhodope Mountains Roman Empire Second Bulgarian Empire Sofia Tarnovgrad Thracians tourists treasure hunters treasure hunting Varna Veliko Tarnovo Veliko Tarnovo Regional Museum of History(all tags)
Ancient Greece Ancient Rome / Roman Empire Ancient Thrace Antiquity Archaeologists Archaeology (Global) Bulgarian Empire Byzantine Empire Christianity Crime & Law Cultural Tourism Exhibitions Features Interviews Middle Ages Modern Era Museums & Institutes Other History Ottoman Empire Paleontology Prehistory Underwater Archaeology
- Explore Prehistory!
- Explore the Antiquity!
- Explore the Middle Ages!
- Explore Christianity!
- Explore Underwater Archaeology!
- Explore the Other History!
- Learn more about Crime & the Law!
- Explore Cultural Tourism!
- Explore Paleontology!
- Explore Wildlife & Nature!
- Check out the Exhibitions!
- Explore the Museums & Institutes!
- Explore Global Archaeology!
- Explore Global Paleontology!
- Explore Global Wildlife!
- Explore the Planet Earth!
- Check out our Interviews!
- Check out our Features!
- Check out our Listicles!
- Check out our Background Infonotes!
- Check out our Index of Archaeologists !
- Check out our Index of Museums!
- Donate to Support Our Cause!